Thursday, December 4, 2008

Brandy Alexander

I've been meaning to make this since I started listening to Feist's "The Reminder" in Maastricht. I'm not a huge fan of any opaque cocktails, but "Brandy Alexander" has spent a noteworthy amount of time as Favorite-Song-of-the-Moment, so I needed to pay due homage.

True to form, I had 2 sips of my drink and finished off a whole pot of spiced cider with rum (recipe also to follow) instead, but it ended up being a big hit with the rest of the family.


Ingredients for a Brandy Alexander:

1 1/2 oz brandy
1 oz dark creme de cacao
2 oz half-and-half

a pinch of grated nutmeg

In a shaker half-filled with ice cubes, combine the brandy, creme de cacao, and half-and-half. Shake well. Strain into a cocktail glass and garnish with the nutmeg. Serves 1.

Bonus!
Ingredients for Spiced Cider with Rum:
1 apple
2 teaspoons whole cloves
1 orange, thinly sliced
2 quarts apple cider
1/4 cup light brown sugar
Pinch grated nutmeg
1/2 - 1 cup dark rum (preference)
Cinnamon sticks, garnish

Stud the apple with the cloves. In a medium pot, combine the studded apple and remaining ingredients except the rum. Slowly bring to a simmer over low heat. Simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the rum. Discard the apple. Ladle into mugs and garnish each with a cinnamon stick. Serve immediately.

2 comments:

  1. The problem I face with making all these fancy drinks is I don't have enough opportunities to make them. I'll make them once, and then I'll be left with a bunch of odd ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually agree, but in this case, I figured that at the very least, I could drink a bottle of whiskey and dump a little bit of the chocolate liqueur into every dessert I make for the rest of eternity.

    ReplyDelete

 

Free Blog Counter