Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Cranberry Crumble Bars

This was originally a recipe for blueberry bars, and while I would much prefer them that way, luck would have it that I decided to begin self-imposed culinary school in the winter rather than the summer. I guess my distaste for summer school trumps my distaste for cranberries. Well, distaste is too strong a word - more like indifference. I was hugely disappointed in my fresh Cranberry-Pear Relish for Thanksgiving dinner (It's such an unpleasantly sour berry. My teeth hurt just thinking about it), so I decided to give them another go. I refuse to be beaten by this pygmy of an opponent.

The crumble bars turned out far better than the relish (read: I was actually able to eat them). Still a bit tart for me, but I prefer sweet fruits and berries, which of course, means that using cranberries not once but twice was a painfully stupid idea. My family appeared to really enjoy them though, but I think that's just because they like to eat. For those who are not fond of pucker, I would probably up the amount of brown sugar, maybe add some maple syrup. The ice cream also helps enormously. I ate a lot of it that way. A lot.


(adapted from Smitten Kitchen's recipe for Blueberry Crumb Bars)

Ingredients:

Crust and crumble:
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 cups all-purpose flour
zest of 1 small navel orange
1 cup cold butter (2 sticks)
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon salt

Filling:
juice of one small navel orange
3 cups fresh cranberries, chopped
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
4 teaspoons cornstarch

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a 9×13 inch pan.

Using a medium bowl, sift together the dry ingredients for the crust, and add in orange zest. Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the butter and egg. Dough will be crumbly. Pat half of dough into the prepared pan.

In another bowl, stir together the 1/2 cups of white and brown sugar, cornstarch and orange juice. Gently mix in the cranberries. Sprinkle the cranberry mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble remaining dough over the berry layer.

4. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown. Makes 24 small squares. Serve hot with vanilla bean ice cream, or at room temperature.

2 comments:

 

Free Blog Counter