Saturday, November 8, 2008

Why don't kids like brussel sprouts?


I was flipping through the vegetable section of my first cookbook when I landed on the section about brussel sprouts, and realized that I've never eaten them before. I've always assumed that that I hate them, based on the propaganda of children's books and television, but today I came to the startling realization that what I've always thought are brussel sprouts are, in fact, alfalfa sprouts (which i actually do hate) and that brussel sprouts are DELICIOUS.

I went to the market immediately and bought some because I think they're adorable. Like mini-cabbages. and well... because i've never had them before. Maybe my priorities are backwards.

so good. what is this myth that sprouts are terrible and children hate them?

My cookbook called this a "wilted salad", which sounds both exotic and repulsive at the same time, but regardless, a delicious way to eat sprouts:

Pull the leaves off of the individual heads and saute them with a couple slices of bacon and a little bit of rice vinegar.


surprisingly good, but without the surprise, because everything + bacon = gr8.

1 comment:

  1. You're goddamn right, everything+bacon=gr8. Everything + Cheese = ubergr8, but you'll find that soon enough.

    -jason

    ReplyDelete

 

Free Blog Counter